If you have heard that a paver patio should be constructed using 2″ of sand, then let A.L.S. Landscape show you why that doesn’t work.
We use a minimum of 6″ of compacted gravel and 1″ of sand. The most important part of building a beautiful paver patio is compaction, compaction, compaction.
Pavers versus Concrete
A paver patio, sidewalk or driveway will add value to your home or business place.
Poured concrete is a low cost option to pavers, however pavers have many advantages over concrete.
- High quality pavers are 3 times stronger than poured concrete.
- Endless design, color and surface texture options.
- If a paver cracks, just replace that paver. If concrete cracks, tear out the concrete. Replacing one paver costs considerably less than jackhammering concrete and pouring new.
- Paver installations are designed and installed to allow movement with the freeze/ thaw process. Concrete is not which produces unsightly cracks and heaving.
- Pavers can been removed and then reinstalled easily, in order to get to buried utilities. Try that with concrete.
- High quality pavers are highly resistant to salt because of their high compression/ high density construction.
- Permeable construction is available with many pavers. This allows water to flow through the paver area, and disperses water into the ground. Perfect for low areas or high water runoff applications.
Paver and Hardscape Maintenance
When A.L.S. Landscape installs your paver patio, you will have the option of sealing the pavers. If you like the wet look, we can do that. If you prefer the natural look, we can do that as well. This is an additional cost, but also provides the additional benefits:
- Paver color will be enhanced, and resist any sun fade
- Helps to stabilize the jointing sand in between the pavers
- Spills, such as oil, coffee, dark drinks, will be easier to clean up
When you choose to have your pavers sealed, you can continue to seal the pavers every 5 years if you wish. If your pavers have been down for some time, are dirty and have moss in the cracks, A.L.S. can clean your pavers back to new, and seal them to provide many more years of enjoyment.
A.L.S. Landscape also is experienced in repair of existing paver patios. We can repair:
- Sunken pavers
- Low areas that have developed
- Broken pavers will be replaced with new pavers
- Polymeric sand
- Failed paver restraint edging